1. Abraham Lincoln was almost a member of the Donner Party.
2. An intercepted letter may have sealed the Donner Party's fate.
3. At least four people were deliberately killed during the trip.
4. The Mexican-American War delayed rescue efforts for the Donner Party.
5. Most of the snowbound emigrants were children.
6. One determined savior went through a grueling process to rescue children.
7. There were far more male casualties than female in the Donner Party.
8. Nearly all of the solo travelers perished.